This Way In To Music was developed by Alex Smith, with assistance from Writer/Director/Producer & Researcher Connie May MHST, Special Needs Education Advisor Ric Davidson, and Director/Co-Producer and Sound Expert Ron Brown.
For the last 3-4 years, we have been working with families in New South Wales (NSW) and Victoria (VIC) Australia to demonstrate the program. We work directly with parents (ALWAYS in the room with us as we film real-life music interaction sessions and socialisation), as our program is FULLY about the FAMILY (however, it is adaptable to schools and other carers).
They are a digital series of streaming videos available by subscription. We need financial assistance or corporate sponsorship to complete our FIRST YEAR’s pilot episodes (filmed over the past 3-4 years, and now in need of final post-production assistance and distribution funding).
Special Needs Parent, Alex Smith (Program Founder) and researcher/writer Connie May MHST (Producer) are also working on a practical ADAPTATION GUIDE BOOK for parents of children with special needs, including On the Spectrum of Autism (ASD/Asperger’s), Cerebral Palsy (CP), Acquired Brain Injury (ABI), MND or other ability differences and children undergoing various cancer treatments.
This book includes interviews with parents who found ways to adapt or accommodate living with a special needs child and working their way through the education system. Target book publishing date: August 2020.
By: Alex Smith, parent of a child on the Spectrum and Connie May MHST, health researcher/writer and digital marketing specialist.
This new program is ideal for:
- Neurodiversity Support Teams / Disability workers
- Special Needs teachers
- Psychologists / Counsellors
- Others with an interest in the power of music for social connection and isolation reduction
Please note we are NOT a non-profit organisation but we are community-focused and have plans for an arm that will be a non-profit part of the company, for assisting with employment of neuro-diverse individuals and over-50s workers who are suffering from discrimination.
We have plans in the future to:
- work with parent groups, teachers, carers and others to help them understand how to use music themed GAMES effectively to engage children and families with special needs
- help hire and develop the employment skills of people with neuro-diversity as we grow (remember, a diagnostic “label” is simply that – a label – it does NOT define anyone or what they can do)
- hire people over 50 who are facing age discrimination challenges or loss of identity and purpose after retirement
- help retrain musicians who have lost their careers and life purpose when the music industry went digital and when live music faltered due to changes to city landscapes and music venues / home entertainment systems and when record labels collapsed / pirating began
- eventually fund scholarships for special needs children who want to further their interests in music-related fields or music-program related industries
Our current primary goal (2019) is to attract a SPONSOR and/or other seed money to finish the production of the footage we have for 5 first PILOT episodes for release in August/September 2019.
Want to help us fund our program?
Contact Connie May MHST 0421 995 522 or if outside of Australia, phone +61 421 99 55 22 or email us at email@example.com (Connie May is the Program Director/Community engagement and research lead). We are also interested in hearing from parents who want to participate in the filming sessions.
Copyright 2019-2020 ALL RIGHTS reserved.